Hey there, I’m Merie! I’m the girl who’s behind this blog and all its wonders.
I’m Chinese-Korean, which means almost everything I write about on this blog has been impacted by my cultural background. It makes for some interesting posts, in my opinion, but that’s up to you, I suppose 😉 In addition to that, I’m also into fairytales, food, and fantasy–and alliteration, in case you can’t tell from that example. I love to bake when I’m not reading, writing, drawing, or doing all the other things a proper high school student is supposed to do.
(My name, by the way, because I’m sure you’re wondering, is pronounced like “Mary,” not like “Marie.”)
I’m an avid bookworm and all-around story-consumer–fantasy is my home genre, but I read a variety of books, from sci-fi and dystopian to contemporary and fairytale retellings! I write them, too. Occasionally I watch anime. If you stick around long enough, you’ll sooner or later discover that my favorite stories include but are not limited to:
- the Four Kingdoms, Beyond the Four Kingdoms, and Return to the Four Kingdoms series by Melanie Cellier (a lengthy collection of fairytale retellings, all of which are totally worth it)
- the Redwall Saga by Brian Jacques (what first got me into fantasy!)
- the Ever After High trilogy by Shannon Hale (as well as the animated TV show, which got canceled way back when but was pretty much the beginning of my entire storytelling career thanks to some terrible fanfics I got rid of a long time ago)
- the Foxcraft trilogy by Inbali Iserles
- the Whitewashed trilogy by Adelaide Thorne
- Romanov by Nadine Brandes
- The Lost Girl of Astor Street by Stephanie Morrill
- Moonscript by H.S.J. Williams
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery (basically my childhood)
- miscellaneous books by Brandon Sanderson
- the Second Age of Retha series by A.M. Sohma
- the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (I would dare not leave this out)
- the Mission League series by Jill Williamson
- yeah I have a lot of favorites
Here at Imperial Scribis, I’ll post about near anything– my ponderous reflections on life, fairytales and storytelling tips, all the books, the occasional cryptic writing update, and everything in between! If you’re ready, then buckle in, ’cause you’re in for a wiiiiiiiiild ride!
Always be a happy camper!
~ Merie Shen